Deciding if Dual Diagnosis Treatment is Right for You
People who are attempting to recover from a drug addiction while battling a mental illness face a unique set of issues. In order to overcome their addiction, it is important to find a dual diagnosis treatment program that can provide the support they need to manage their mental health issue while addressing their addictive behavior. In the Bay Area, a quality dual diagnosis treatment program should include:
- An attentive staff with a thorough understanding of the complex relationship between substance abuse and mental illness. In many instances, drugs or alcohol is used in an attempt to self-medicate the symptoms of an underlying mental illness. In other instances, the use of drugs or alcohol can worsen the symptoms of mental illness. Furthermore, individuals who are using drugs or alcohol are not likely to take the medication needed to manage their mental illness.
- A medically controlled and closely monitored detoxification protocol. This protocol should be tailored to each client so that they are able to detox without discomfort.
- A mental illness professional on staff to coordinate care with the addiction treatment team.
- An intensive inpatient drug or alcohol rehab program that identifies and addresses the root cause of the addictive behavior. Next, the program should develop the coping skills necessary to deal with stress and anxiety without the use of drugs or alcohol.
- Creation of a continuing care plan by the client with the help of their addiction recovery team that outlines how they will maintain their sobriety after leaving inpatient treatment.
Summit Estate Recovery Center provides addiction recovery and dual diagnosis treatment programs in a luxury setting. By focusing on the unique needs of each of person, Summit Estate is able to prepare their clients for life after leaving inpatient treatment. During dual diagnosis treatment, addiction recovery professionals and mental health experts work together to provide coordinated care.
Receive additional information on the treatment programs available at Summit Estate by contacting them today. Please complete the form linked below and a member of the Summit Estate team will reach out to you. Or, please call 800-701-6997 to speak directly with an admissions counselor. Thank you.