Recovery does not end when you leave inpatient treatment. Instead, it continues every day when you make the decision to continue your resolution to stay sober. Although you learn coping mechanisms during treatment, staying sober is not possible unless you make the effort every day. To address the issues that arise during your everyday life, remember the following:
- Continue to identify and address what triggers your cravings and identify what you can do to avoid those triggers.
- Have a strong support network of people that you can rely on and be honest with. These individuals can be friends, family members, or others who are in recovery. Use those people to stay accountable and focused.
- Take care of yourself. Clean living extends to every aspect of your life including what you eat and your exercise routine. Eat well balanced, nutritious meals and get regular exercise. In addition to improving your overall health, exercise serves as an excellent way to reduce stress.
- Learn your own interests. It can be difficult to identify your favorite activities once you decide to stay sober. Take time to determine what activities you enjoy sober. Don’t be afraid to try new things because your favorite activity might be just around the corner.
- Carefully select the situations and surroundings to avoid places that lend themselves to you relapsing. Be comfortable declining an invitation and saying “no.” If you become uncomfortable, excuse yourself from the situation.
- Keep in contact with your recovery care team. These individuals are personally invested in your recovery and can be a great resource in your journey to stay sober. Depending on your unique situation, you may be a good candidate for outpatient rehab or refresher courses designed to build upon your inpatient recovery.
Your recovery can begin with your first contact with our recovery center. Our expert team can equip you to stay sober through counseling, therapy, and individual attention in a luxury setting. An admissions counselor can provide your specific out of pocket cost, answer questions about our program, and coordinate your arrival. Reach out to us today by completing the form on this site or calling 800-701-6997.