When using them alongside traditional methods, holistic treatment offers benefits for those suffering from substance use disorder (SUD). Examples of such therapies include art, music, and outdoor activities. Integrating these modalities into a treatment plan is a practical approach to ensuring whole-body wellness.
Traditional treatment processes include behavioral and medical interventions. These interventions often include counseling, group sessions, and medications to help reduce cravings. Even though these methods work optimally for many, others feel these treatments aren’t addressing all of their needs well enough. To learn about the benefits of holistic addiction treatment, contact Summit Estate Recovery Center today at 800.701.6997.
What Is Holistic Treatment?
Holistic therapy involves looking at someone’s health from every angle during addiction treatment. That includes their emotional, physical, and mental health. Holistic treatments involve a combination of medical treatments with various behavioral and emotional therapies.
Today, addiction treatment primarily involves looking at how it affects a person physically. However, a holistic approach identifies the root issues leading an individual to substance use. This alternative treatment approach looks at root causes like emotional or interpersonal issues.
Five Benefits of Holistic Treatment
One of the best benefits of holistic treatment is that it pairs well with traditional addiction treatment methods. Evidence-based treatments can help individuals overcome addiction. However, holistic therapy involves treatments that help individuals discover different areas of their being and mind. These benefits include the following:
- Emotional conflict resolution – It’s challenging to identify personal conflicts alone or with other individuals. Holistic therapy allows people to determine what’s triggering emotions, become more aware of their feelings, and understand how they play out.
- Whole-person approaches – This form of addiction treatment involves treating a person’s body, mind, and spirit. This therapy allows individuals to identify and understand how substance use affects them.
- Anxiety, depression, and stress reduction – While anxiety is episodic, depression and stress can last long-term. Holistic treatments help individuals release tension and express it in positive ways.
- Calm environment – One of the most significant benefits of holistic treatment is that its cornerstone is often ensuring there are peaceful environments. These are safe settings where individuals can reflect on their motivations, needs, and goals for recovery.
- Comprehensive aftercare programs – When someone finishes treatment and goes back into the world, their addiction recovery truly begins. Those leaving treatment benefit from their peers and the treatment staff providing continued support.
These benefits help those receiving treatments understand how substance use has harmed them emotionally, physically, and spiritually. That way, they can begin their path toward whole-body health and well-being.
Holistic Treatment Provides Lasting Results
The benefits of holistic treatment offer lasting results because patients learn about coping skills and strategies. Because holistic treatments involve using alternative strategies, such as yoga or meditation, patients don’t have to have any other substances introduced into their systems.
That means that this form of addiction treatment often includes activities such as:
- Engaging in nutritious eating habits
- Exercising to help promote holistic health
- Learning about and using mindfulness skills
- Using meditation and yoga for centering and relaxation
Developing these skills and incorporating them into daily routines provides lasting benefits for those in recovery. These activities help keep their minds off of substance use, but they also focus on a person’s entire well-being.
Contact Summit Estate Recovery Center Today for Help
If you have questions and concerns about addiction treatment, you’re not alone. For individuals looking for alternative ways of recovering from substance use, now is the time to learn more about the benefits of holistic treatment. Contact Summit Estate Recovery Center at 800.701.6997 to learn more about holistic therapy and how we can help.